Here you will find all neseccary informations on how to upgrade an M.2 SSD in your PS5 Sytstem.
May you already know that Sony accounced recently possibilite to upgrade an M.2 SSD on the PS5. Here is a summary of all important Key facts but before you start you should check if you have gotten the Beta testing invitation. As of now only Beta-User have the possibilie to upgrade an M.2 SSD in the PS5. The official updates usually appear 4 – 6 weeks after the beta update – depending on how good the feedback from the testers is. In the best case you can expand your PS5 SSD as early as the end of August or September.
With the upgraded storage you will be able to copy, download and launch all games and media apps. You can move all games from your internal storage to the upgraded SSD.
Expand a SSD in the PS5 – Pay attention on that
- M.2 SSD requirements:
Only the expandable storage M.2 SSD which meets all certain requirements by Sony will work with the new software update. Using an M.2 SSD with the PS5 requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure. Either you buy an M2 SSD that already has a heatsinks installed or you buy a corresponding cooling module, however, there are restrictions in terms of the height.
- What is the maximum storage capacity of the SSD?:
The maximum of the SSD can be up to 4TB. Everything over 4TB, will not work as the memory will not be recognized.
- What kind of M.2 SSDs can be used?:
- Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
- Capacity between 250GB – 4TB
- Must have a Cooling structure such as a heatsink. You can attach one by yourself, either in a sindle- or double sided format but I recommend to buy one with a installed heatsink.
- Sequential read speed: at least 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
- Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110. The first two digits refer to the width and the remaining digits to the length.
- Module width: 22mm width (25mm width will not work)
- Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)
- inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).
- millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
Adding an M.2 SSD to your PlayStation 5
This is an older video but it shows you exactly what you have to do, either installing or removing a SSD from your PS5.
After you have successfully upgrade your SSD you have to do an adjustment in you System settings. Just go to Settings – Storage – Installation Location and change the default location and set it to the new SSD. For moving games from your internal storage, go to the game library and move it from there. For deleting go to Settings – Storage – M.2 SSD Storage.